For every adult who doesn’t exercise, there are dozens of reasons why they stopped – or never started, including illness or injury that interfered with their routine, weather conditions that interrupted their preferred activity, career or similar commitments that decreased the time available for exercise, or maybe they just grew bored with their regimen. Those who never started likely never found an activity they enjoyed or made time to practice.
Because the key word in Active Adult is “Active,” we want to offer some incentives and ideas to get or keep you that way.
Benefits of Exercise. According to research from the National Institute of Health (NIH), even moderate physical activity can have significant positive health impacts on individuals of any age:
- Lower risk of coronary disease, high blood pressure, and stroke.
- Decreased risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
- Minimized risk of developing metabolic syndrome (a cluster of conditions that increase your risk for heart disease, diabetes, and more. There is no cure for metabolic syndrome, but treatment can manage the symptoms.)
- Lowered risk of certain types of cancers, including colon and breast cancers.
- Decreased risk of depression and similar disorders.
- Despite these benefits, research shows that only 1 in 3 adults participates in regular physical activity. (That drops to just 1 in 4, over the age of 65!)
Let’s Get Moving! Exercise options that overcome excuses:
Equipment. The right footwear will help you minimize injury and stress to the joints, and will increase your enjoyment of the activity.
Walk! When the weather is favorable, walk outside; if the weather is uncooperative, head to the mall or other indoor facility and walk laps. If all else fails, walk the hallways or stairs in your house.
Form a group. Working out with friends, neighbors, or family members provides support and accountability.
Try something new. Ride a bike, take a yoga class, go bowling, swim, play a round of golf (and walk, instead of taking a cart)…
Nix the excuses. Chances are, there are twice as many active options as there are excuses for not exercising.
At Windsong, your neighbors have similar life experiences, and likely have similar health and fitness goals. And each Windsong community features amenities that make keeping exercise goals on-track: sidewalks, walkable streets, courtyards perfect for gardening, even exercise equipment in the clubhouse.
Living in your luxury ranch home in one of our Windsong communities was just the first step toward putting the Active back into Active Adult!
Welcome to Windsong – Where Life’s A Breeze!