Did you know that you can train your ability to balance just as you can train any of your muscle groups? Balance is something we use all the time, yet the ability to balance can become weak. Here are a few quick tips on how to keep your balance strong.
- Stand with one foot slightly elevated off the floor – this is great for when you are standing in line somewhere
- Lift one leg off the floor, extending it forward, holding just above the floor for 30 seconds
- Lift one leg off the floor, moving it in a half circle motion from the front around to the rear and back
- Try the above while standing on an unstable item such as a pillow
- Practice standing up and sitting down without the use of your hands
- Try any of the above while closing your eyes!!
Balance is not something we think about everyday. Yet our mobility is dependent on the ability to balance ourselves. These few suggestions take little to no time but can make a big difference.